I’ve been nominated Merri Halma of Spiritual Musings for the ‘Sunshine Blogger Award’, where a character in one of my novels has to answer ten questions about themselves. I’ve chosen Beslynx Spiritwalker from the Followers of Torments Saga. Beslynx is a secondary character, though an important one in the series.
- Tell me about yourself and your worldAlterraden is a world of untouched beauty because it is sparsely populated. Not everyone would live in balance, given the choice, but because it is many days travel on foot between the population centers, they are forced to. The Woodland Path provides enough for all to live comfortably with a little work. If you work a little harder, then you can even get some minor luxuries. In all my travels, including with that Path blighted alpha, I have rarely seen anywhere that has such splendor to be considered “opulent” within the world I know. I have traveled, against my will mind you, to a world where splendor is considered the bare essentials, and what I find comfortable is considered squalor. I much prefer the Realm I grew up in to any other – the wind whispering through the trees of an evening, the sun shining on the newly shorn grass as the sheep placidly graze, even the dust kicked up during a long day’s travel.
- What would you change about yourself if you could? What would keep?I would end my family’s curse. Though I respect my great-to-the-many-times great grandparents on my sire’s side, I fervently wish they had never mated. To be honest, I am surprised my great-to-the-many-times great grandmother survived.Our family thought the curse had run its course until Old Finn was born. Even then, all hoped it ended with his generation. Then I arrived, and proved to be a werelynx, rather than a werewolf. Thankfully, mother was a well respected wolf from another well respected Pack, or our entire family would have been struck from the roles. That would have been devastating to my sire – going from Pack alpha to outcast. It almost came to that, as it is, due to me.
To counter that, I would keep my family’s love and affection. Even though I have been cast out from the Pack, I still retain my status within their hierarchy as the Pack shaman and traveling merchant. When I return from my trips, I am always greeted by a new pile of shed fur in the spring, or wonderfully tanned pelts in the fall to use for whatever I wish – though most does go into goods for sale to benefit the Pack’s coffers.
- Describe your favorite activityThat is a tough question. There are so many activities I enjoy doing. Spinning and weaving, walking the paths of the forest and communing with The Path, helping those who are lost find their way, helping The Path maintain balance within the world. I cannot say I favor one over the other, as I do them all with equal enjoyment.
- If you could write your own story, how would you change it?I cannot say I would change it. Even though The Path saw fit to collar me to my Path blighted alpha, there must be a reason, though I hate it. Every obstacle, every victory has made me into who I am today. And it is who I am now that allows me to help those I encounter find their own balance. If I were to change my story, then I would not be who I need to be for the next person I encounter that needs help.
- What is the one person you can always depend on to be there for you?Gaia – She is always there, no matter how dire or celebratory my circumstances. She is my goddess, my savior, my strength. When The Path leads me through dark times, I can call upon Her and She provides the strength to carry on until the darkness fades. However, if you speak in terms of mortals, I mus say it is myself. Though I can gain strength from Old Finn, or my family, there are places I must go, and times I am away from them when they cannot be present for me. Because of this, I have had to learn how to sustain myself through any situation.
- Who most annoys you?In what way? The kappa has a habit of making me wish I never met him, yet he can be as charming as any pup as he worms his way back into my good graces. The leech insists there is something momentous about our Path blighted alpha, yet getting a straight answer from her is worse than getting one out of one of the Pride shamans – everything is cloaked in mystery and mysticism. The Guardian is too good for her own good, yet plays at being weak. And the alpha that leads our tiny Pack is enough to make The Path, or any other god cringe.
I will let you guess which one deserves the title of “most annoying.”
- Who do you have to protect?By choice, I protect the weak and uncertain. I try to help them find their own life’s path, and develop what they need to take it with courage.
By force, I must protect the Pack I am now part of – if any one of us should be harmed, or worse – die, then we all will die. That is part of what makes our alpha so dangerous – he knew this, yet did it anyway.
- What motivates you to get up in the morning?The chance for a better tomorrow. Trite as that sounds, I know that ere I go through these dark times, there will be a sunrise eventually. When I have learned whatever lesson I must, the way forward will open, and I will be able to help everyone in my pack move forward on their paths. That is a reason to continue living, striving, and reaching – seeing others achieve their full potential.
- If you could sit down with coffee with your author, what would you talk about?Coffee? What is that? [Bes, it’s like your tea, but stronger and more bitter.]
Oh! Morning tea! Hmm… I would ask if she knew why I must walk the path I am on. What is the reason for it. It would be more bearable if I at least understood why I must become part of the pack, rather than aid them from the fringes.
- What is your favorite color and define who you are?Green for Priora, brown for the trees that grow upon her face, blue for the water that sustains us, yellow for the sun that lights the way, and black for the shadows that hide the lessons we must all learn.
Now for the authors I have tagged:
- Tell me about yourself and your world.
- What was your family like growing up? Are you still in touch with them now?
- What do you most desire to have happen in your life?
- What do you wish most to see go away?
- What do you do for a living? Do you enjoy it?
- Who is your best friend?
- What is your favorite leisure activity?
- What do you most dislike about the work you do?
- If you could sit down and talk with anyone, who would it be and why?
- If you could be anything in the universe, what would you choose? Why?